With winter in the rearview mirror, now is the perfect time to give your house a springtime makeover. You’ll find that with a few simple swaps, you can take your home decor from drab to fab! Easily transition into the season by following these simple tips for refreshing your decor for spring.
- Put away winter items. First and foremost, put away all of the winter items you still have laying around. Heavy blankets are a must-have during the cold winter months but you won’t need them once the weather starts to change. If you still like the look of a throw blanket on your couch or chair or want one around for those breezier nights, choose one in a cotton, linen, or bamboo material. These lightweight options are perfect to curl up with on cool spring mornings and don’t look as heavy to the eye, either.
- Declutter and organize. Spring cleaning is no joke. Take the time to declutter any piles of paper that have built up over the last couple of months, including magazines, bills, and other mailers. Throw things away that you no longer use or serve a purpose. Organize your closets, cabinets, and drawers. During this phase, you’ll also be switching from winter to spring clothes. Go through and get rid of anything that’s outdated or no longer fits. This can create space in your closets since your bulkier items will be in storage. It’s also a good time to go through your refrigerator and give that a thorough cleaning, simply because you’re already in cleaning mode!
- Paint the walls. Painting the walls in your home can make a large impact on your decor without breaking the bank. Choose a bright or bold color that compliments a focal point or piece of furniture in your room. If you don’t want to paint an entire space, add an accent wall. It’s less work with a more drastic effect. This is especially easy if you have the walls painted in a neutral color.
- Bring in seasonal colors. You don’t have to paint the walls to shake up your home’s color scheme. You can bring in seasonal colors through accent decor. Switch out your throw pillows for ones with colorful patterns. Add colored glass vases to a mantle or centerpiece. Hang artwork that has a connection to the season. Welcoming seasonal colors in through your choice of accessories is an easy way to update any room in your home, including entryways and bathrooms.
- Add in earthy elements. Nothing says spring like greenery. Pick fresh flowers from your garden or a produce store and pop them in a vase. Add a plant to your foyer or living room. Lay an area rug made out of bamboo, jute and sisal, or cotton. Incorporate wicker into your furniture where possible. Use what nature has to offer to your advantage!
- Embrace natural light. Seize the sunshine and hang curtains that are light and airy to allow as much natural light in as possible. Sheer panels are a good choice because they allow light to stream in while keeping your privacy protected. You can also add mirrors into a room to maximize natural lighting. To double the light reflected in a room, hang one opposite a window.
- Rearrange your furniture. If you don’t want to go crazy with redecorating your house but still want a change, the simplest solution is to rearrange your furniture. Changing the room’s layout will automatically make your mind think it is a different space. If the furniture is close together, try spacing them out to make the room feel more open.
Breathe new life into your decor this spring! For more help refreshing your home’s decor, contact Marva Don.